Senior Engineer Mkaji Project
Simavi is an ambitious, growing development organisation of more than 50 people, based in the Netherlands. Together with local partners, we improve the health of people in the poorest regions in developing countries. With more than one hundred partners we work together with communities. We influence the policies of governments to take into account the health and rights of the poorest people. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We focus on the poorest regions of nine developing countries in Asia and Africa.
Simavi has been operational since 1925 by working through local NGO partners both in WASH and SRHR sectors. In Tanzania we implement the MKAJI project since April 2014. Mkaji project implements activities to upgrade water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion in selected health facilities in the eight district councils of Dodoma Region. The targeted dispensaries and health centers are situated in (semi-) rural communities. The project aims to improve the health condition of community inhabitants, in particular pregnant women and mothers with infants. Water, Sanitation and Hygiene infrastructural works at the health care facilities are complemented with capacity building activities on 1) sustainable water supply operation and maintenance and management, 2) improved hygiene behavior practices, 3) improved WASH governance, and 4) integrating gender and social accountability in activities.
The 5-year program is funded by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation SDC and implemented by Simavi in a consortium with Witteveen+Bos, a Dutch engineering and consultancy company, and two Tanzanian partners CBHCC and UFUNDIKO. For this project Simavi-MKAJI is looking for an experienced, ambitious and dynamic
Senior Engineer Mkaji Project
This vacancy is open to Tanzanian nationals only. The Mkaji Project runs up and until March 2019
The Senior Engineer will supervise the planning, coordination and implementation of small scale construction projects by local contractors for the water supply and sanitation at 100 Health Facilities (HF). The construction primarily concerns (connection to) boreholes, piping, small reservoirs, indoor plumbing, and sanitation facilities.
Position in the organisation
The Senior Engineer reports to the Programme Manager. The Senior Engineer assists in management of the four hands-on supervisors of local consortium partners who are frequently on the construction site at the HF’s.
Tasks and responsibilities
Planning & Coordination:
- Plans, schedules, and prioritizes supervision in collaboration with local partners.
- Attends the weekly coordination meeting with the project team.
- Visits construction locations on several days each week.
- Technical back-stopping and coaching of 4 hands-on local supervisors.
- Co-ordinates data collection for the project administration for each HF
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Monitors the:
- Quality of construction works for each HF;
- Budget and additional works for each HF;
- Time schedule for each HF.
- Conducts 2-weekly meetings with contractor and the relevant local supervisor.
- Prepares and documents minutes of meeting.
- Updates the overall construction schedule on a weekly basis.
- Initiates proactively corrective measures to prevent deviations from the schedule.
- Checks work plans, methods, calculations, drawings and quality plans of the contractors.
- Ensures the construction works run smoothly and infrastructures are completed within budget and on time.
- Ensures archiving of relevant documents for each HF.
- Reports timely to the Programme Management Team on issues that may arise regarding supervision.
Performs any other assignment reasonably associated with but not listed in this job description when assigned by his/her line manager.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor or Master of Science Civil Engineering with a specialization in Water Engineering from a recognized institute.
- Registered with the Engineers Registration Board (ERB)
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in WASH projects
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of similar WASH infrastructure constructions in rural areas, preferably for an international NGO.
- Strong mathematical and technical skills including physics.
- Proficiency in computer skills, like Microsoft Word, Excel, Projects.
Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to think methodically, plan and manage implementation of projects.
- Ability to maintain an overview of entire projects while continuing to attend to detailed technicalities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Negotiating, supervisory and leadership skills.
Dodoma, Tanzania, with some travel to the districts.
The Mkaji Project run up and until March 2019. Simavi offers a contract until the end of the project (31 March 2019) with good employment conditions. The salary level depends on qualifications of the selected candidate.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Thea Bongertman via email@example.com. Please do not use this e-mail address for applications, but only in case you have any question. More information on how to apply; please see below.
To get to know our organisation, please visit our website www.simavi.org.
Do you recognise yourself in the profile? Candidates are invited to apply before January 5th, 2018. Please make sure to upload your English CV (maximum of 2 pages) and your cover letter by using the following hyperlink (please note that we invite you to fill in a short application form): https://simavi.onlinevacatures.nl/en/Vacancy/Apply/92478.
Apply only when you fit the total job description. References will be checked in the recruitment process.
Interviews are aimed to take place in:
- The second week of January(1st round)
- The third week of January (2nd round)
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.