Financial Support Officer
Simavi is an ambitious, growing development organization. Our head office is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and we have local representations in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Tanzania and Uganda. In partnership with local civil society organisations, we improve the health of marginalised communities in the poorest regions in developing countries in Africa and Asia. Together with local communities, the private sector, knowledge institutes and governments we address Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights as well as the basic need for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene- because we believe that those two themes are the basic determinants for a good health. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We are a member of the Watershed Alliance, a member of the GUSO (Get Up Speak Out) Alliance, and take part in many more initiatives and alliances.
Simavi is looking for a service oriented and accurate
Financial Support Officer
As a Financial Support Officer (FSO) you contribute to the (financial) set up and monitoring of the Simavi programmes and projects. You support the (Senior) Programme Officers ((S)POs) in realising accurate, timely and comprehensive budgets for Simavi programmes and projects, cash flow forecasts and monitoring of their (financial) progress and results.
You monitor, perform checks on programmes, give advice and support the (S)POs and contribute to the improvement of (financial) processes around programmes.
The Financial Support Officer reports to the Programme Manager.
Your tasks and responsibilities
1.Financial support on programmes and projects
- Support and advise (S)POs on budget creation for (new) programmes and projects.
- Collect financial data for the preparation of proposals, periodic and ad hoc reporting, analysis, liquidity forecasts and budgets; on behalf of internal or external stakeholders.
- Assist in preparation and review of plans, budgets, performance reports and project proposals of partners.
- Support (S)POs in (financial) monitoring and assessments of partner organisations.
- Assist in preparing proposals and memos for the purpose of information sharing and decision making.
- Assist in preparing financial reports to back donors.
2. Monitoring, assessment and reporting
- Financial analysis and assessment of programmes and project proposals including revenues, spending and cash flow forecasts.
- Financial monitoring and evaluation of the partner organisations, programmes and projects by analysis of financial reports and audits.
- Review the adherence to and the quality of the (financial) reporting by partner organisations and advise the (S)POs on actions/measures to be taken.
- Assessment of and advise on the financial capacity of partner organisations and accountability systems.
- Check the correctness and approve payments to partners, according to the set procedures and guidelines.
- Prepare for periodic and ad hoc checks by the external auditor on programmes and projects.
- Timely detection and communication of deviations in performance compared to the goals.
3. Financial and organisational support
- Serve as an expert source of information in the field of financial issues.
- Respond proactively to developments that affect the financial field.
- Advise on improvements and supports in the implementation where necessary.
- Act as a key user for the management information system on programmes (Pluriform), especially on the financial field.
- Facilitate capacity building and expert knowledge in financial administration and control on partner level.
- Initiate projects, which can be cross-departmental and formulates project objectives for quality improvement in the financial field in relation to programme creation and implementation.
- Detect any bottlenecks in work processes and/or financial systems; make suggestions for improvement, develop standards to optimize work processes and take appropriate actions.
- Participate in and coordinates various types of projects and offer advice and support from financial expertise.
- Provide training to colleagues on drafting and managing budgets, the management information system, AO/IC and internal procedures.
- Maintain contacts with financial counterparts at partner organisations, in the local offices and with external partners.
- HBO level of education (i.e. higher vocational education) in a relevant field (e.g. financial management or accounting).
- 2-5 years’ experience in similar position.
- Experience in preparing budgets of funding applications for different donors
- Knowledge and understanding of finance, accounting, budgeting and the financial management of programmes.
- Excellent communication skills in English and at least good understanding of Dutch.
- Ability to accurately process financial data and prepare financial reports.
- Skills for working in a multicultural environment.
- Dutch citizen or in possession of legal entitlement to live and work in the Netherlands is a requirement.
Simavi offers you
- An interesting and challenging position in a dynamic and international working environment, with substantial personal freedom.
- A contract for 12 months for 32 hours per week with possible extension.
- A gross monthly salary between € 2,450.- and € 3,444.- on a part-time basis of 32 hours per week.
- Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Our office is located at Naritaweg 135, which is a 2 minutes’ walk from train station Amsterdam Sloterdijk.
If you have any questions, please contact Aika van der Kleij (Programme Manager) via email@example.com.
How to apply?
In case you recognise yourself in the profile we are looking forward to receive your application before June 21st 2017. Please send your letter and resume (in English, max. 4 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org, using reference Financial Support Officer.
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.