Event Manager Kenya (Consultant)
Simavi is looking for an
for the “2020 Watershed Annual Partners Learning Meeting” and “Civic Space for Achieving Sustainable Development Goals: Practical Approaches from Kenya” conferences
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Event dates: 10-14 August, 2020
Deadline application: 9 March
Availability required for assignment: Mid-March until end of August
Contact person: Patrick.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Watershed-empowering citizens programme focuses on building capacity of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to advocate for sustainable Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services and improved Water Resource Management (WRM). The programme is a five – year (2016 – 2020) Strategic Partnership (SP) between the Dutch government Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) and Dutch International NGOs comprised of IRC, Simavi, Wetlands International and Akvo.
The programme is implemented globally and in six countries, including Kenya.
In Kenya, programme implementation commenced in 2016 with interventions in Kajiado and Laikipia countiesand at national level. Included in activity implementation are five local CSOs namely, Centre for Social Planning & Administrative Development (CESPAD), Laikipia Wildlife Forum (LWF), Kenya Water and Sanitation Civil Society Network (KEWASNET), Neighbours Initiative Alliance (NIA) and Kenya Water for Health Organization (KWAHO). Wetlands International, IRC, Akvo and Simavi are also part of the Kenyan programme team.
Watershed Kenya programme will organize and host the following events to be held between 11 and 14 August 2020.
Part 1, 11-12 August: Watershed 2020 annual learning meeting
Led by Simavi the programme will host the final partnership learning meeting which is scheduled to take place for two days on 11 and 12 August 2020. The participants are expected to arrive on 10th August and a joint dinner will be organised to welcome them. This meeting will focus on in-house agenda whose participants will include mainly representatives from the six in-country programmes and the Dutch partners from Netherlands. No field visits are anticipated,instead the Kenyan team will “bring the field to the meeting”, by inviting actors from the counties to join in specific sessions Participants of the two- day “Watershed Annual Partnership learning meeting” will be drawn from Uganda, Ghana, Mali, India, Bangladesh, the Netherlands, US and UK (they might have other nationalities than their countries of residence) (estimated number of participants 50).
Part 2, 13-14 August: ‘Civic space for achieving SDGs: practical approaches from Kenya’ conference
The civic space for achieving SDGs conference is open to different actors to show case their experiences and lessons on the role of civil society organizations and their networks in realizing Sustainable Development Goals, with strong focus on ‘leave no one behind’ agenda, as well as underlying human rights principles. This will include presentations, plenary discussions and showcasing knowledge products with blocks of specific learning themes/topics. This conference is opened to non-Watershed partners, mainly from Kenya.(estimated number of participants 100).
Objectives of the Assignment
For “Watershed Annual Partnership Learning” and “Civic Space for Achieving Sustainable Development Goals: Practical Approaches from Kenya” conference, we are looking for an event manager to carry out operational and logistic tasks to prepare and organize these meetings, which will take place from 11-14 August 2020 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Under direct supervision of the Simavi Watershed Country Manager, and overall guidance of the organising committee which consists of Simavi, Akvo, IRC, KEWASNET and Wetlands International Eastern Africa, the events manager is responsible to ensure the smooth operations and running of the two events. This includes carrying out operational and logistical tasks.
Expected outputs of Event Manager
- By End of March 2020,
- Identify and collect quotations from at least three suitable venues for the above-mentioned meetings. The venue needs to be spacious to accommodate estimated number of participants, interactive exercises, break-out group sessions, have plenty of natural light, surrounded by nature, multimedia presentations, accessible for all, security approved and environmentally friendly (in particular related to food & beverage consumption).
- Preferably the venue should also accommodate If that is not the case, the Event Manager will also identify and collect quotations from hotels in the vicinity of the identified venues, where the participants can stay.
- Recommend the optimum (based on price, quality, condition, etc) option to organizing committee.
- Support co-lead Evita Rozenberg of IRC, with collecting data of participants and provide invitation letters for their visa applications for travel to Kenya, complying with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- By mid-April, provide participants with official invitation letters with support of organising committee.
- By end of April, upon approval of organizing committee, facilitate contracts and maintain contact with the selected venue.
- By end of May, prepare welcoming package (including all the information and requirements related to trip to Kenya) for the participants.
- Be the focal point for all the logistical requirements including invitation letters, visa applications, participants lists, hotel room reservations, airport pick up/drop offs, etc. Throughout the assignment
- By mid-May, develop and maintain a web-based registration platform for expression of interest for participants of civic space conference in consultation with organising committee.
- Participate in all weekly 1-hour planning meetings held by Watershed partners for harmony and coherence of the preparatory processes.
- Provide recommendations for improving the programme if necessary.
- Any other required logistics during the two meetings in August 2020.
- Flag possible security, safety and other risk issues on time to the organising committee and provide participants with a security briefing letter, along with the invitation letter and if necessarily prior to the conference.
Submit financial and narrative reports of the meetings by end of August 2020, including recommendations for improvements.
Duration of the assignment
The assignment will take place between 15 March 2020 and 30 August 2020 covering 30 days.
Applicants may be individuals or groups of individuals with a designated team lead with the following minimum competencies:
- Proven experience organizing successful events taking the lead as an event manager.
- Be proactive, with strong inter -cultural communication skills.
- Expert in developing and use of web based system to send expression of interest/invites to CSOs and online registration of interested participants.
- Good understanding of Kenyan governance context, including government protocol desired.
- Good understanding of security and safety issues and other risk management requirements.
- Understanding of civic space dynamics in Kenya an added advantage but not mandatory.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Based in Kenya and capable of working within Nairobi city, organizing own transport.
- Available in Kenya preferably during the entire period of the assignment but at least two weeks before, during and one week after the entire period of the two meetings.
Interested parties should submit their applications including CV and financial proposal (including all the costs) to Patrick.email@example.com by Monday 9 March. Organising committee will review the applications and shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further reference.
Applications must include:
- The narrative of the proposal should not exceed four pages, outlining a proposed approach and methodology for the logistics of the two parts of the events. In addition, it will include a planning and budget, and an outline of the roles and responsibilities of each member of the consultancy team (as relevant).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) for the main event manager and/or all proposed team members.
- Cover letter outlining how the event manager meets the specifications, confirmation of availability in the time frame indicated, and contact details of three professional referees.
- An indicative consultancy fees budget reflecting appropriate overall budget headlines.
- A sample of a similar piece of work previously carried out in Kenya.